I’m so close to a finish on my Winged quilt! I have been working every spare moment sewing down the binding in the hopes that I can give it to my mom this weekend. I’ve even been lugging it to work every day so that I can do a bit of sewing on my lunch break.
Trimming it up (I use a metal L-shaped ruler purchased for a long-completed home improvement project)
Sewing on the binding while Davy chops paper up into tiny and tinier bits with his scissors:
I’ve also gotten to do a little fun sewing. I purchased a bag full of strip/string scraps from Kati (from the blue chair) in an instagram destash awhile ago. The strips were all from this quilt, so I knew they’d all go together nicely! I admit I’m a new enough quilter that I have trouble coming up with good color combos so this is a bonus of this kind of purchase.
I showed off a potholder on a previous post, and making that was fun, but I wanted something a little different and something that would incorporate some negative space. I found this tutorial for spiderweb blocks on Sew Mama Sew from Elizabeth Hartman. So far I’ve completed the parts for one block:
I really like how it’s looking so far. I have the background fabric cut and marked for 3 additional blocks. I do think I need to have my scraps more sorted in advance (I sorted a bunch into snack-sized ziplocs but for the block above I was just using all the stuff I hadn’t had a chance to sort yet, mostly the strings that were pieced together) and I think it would also help to have a pressing mat on my sewing table so I don’t have to constantly pop up and down. But I really enjoyed it and I can’t wait to sew up a few more. I’m not going to sew the triangles into blocks until I have a bunch, because if it turns out I need to add more fabric in to get it to a good size I want those fabrics to be evenly distributed.
But as you can see there are really a ton of strips here, so I should be good for awhile. Hopefully while I’m stuck home tomorrow (Davy has pinkeye for like, the 6th time since last December) I’lll get some sewing done!
Linking up with Lee for WIP Wednesday!